Re: Patches with independent changes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Patches with independent changes
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:34:35 -0800

On 01/24/2014 01:39 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

they both address the fact that fchmod is not available on Windows. One without the other would break the build on Windows.

I wasn't referring to two hunks in the patch. I was referring to two of the changes installed by that patch. One change worked around WINDOWSNT's lack of fchmod, and the other replaced "!=" with "<".The changes were independent and only the first change was needed to fix the bug.

That I used < rather than != is immaterial

You thought replacing "!=" with "<" was needed, so the intent of that patch was to install multiple independent fixes. Which was fine.

Here's another example. Trunk bzr 116064 fixes a file name handling failure on MS-Windows 9X. While it's in the neighborhood, it makes the independent changes of removing initialization code for the variable g_b_init_is_w9x, and of removing that variable's definition. These independent changes weren't needed to fix the bug.

This sort of thing is quite common, and there's nothing wrong with it.
[retitling from "Changes in update-game-score.c"]
[Why?]

Others requested retitling and this seemed reasonable.