Re: Progress report on git-blame

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Progress report on git-blame
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:14:24 +0100

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup writes:
>> For blaming src/xdisp.c, however, it only drops the execution time from
>> 3:00 minutes to about half.
>
> "only"? That is pretty impressive in my book.

It's not a quantum leap, just a change from bad to bad.  So it will be
only moderately useful for pulling a "Hello GitHub, Microsoft,
plasticscm, beanstalk, [see the endorsement banner on
<URL:http://libgit2.github.com/>], if you want to use this code under a
license different from the core GPLv2 used in Git, like, say, in
libgit2's permissive licensing for binaries, fork over a cool 10k€"
number.  As my sole income is from working on free software, some extra
cash would have come in handy.

That was my basic self-justification for stalling on my work on GNU
LilyPond for several weeks.  Now I still need to finish the copy/move
detection parts of git-blame (while they are rarely used, the internals
they relied on are gone and their principal code has a #if 0/#endif
around it).

So collecting on the effort will not be a breeze but more like pulling
teeth and will likely not work at all.  As long as everybody will
_disable_ git-blame in web interfaces anyway, there's not much of a
_selling_ point to the code, never mind that it will be nice to have in
the canonical Git binaries under GPLv2.

--
David Kastrup