Re: clang vs free software

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: clang vs free software
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 15:54:09 +0100

Helmut Eller <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 26 2014, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> [...]
>> And it's rather exasperating if people keep pretending that nobody has
>> thought about this before and that they have the better answers
>> rendering decades of painstaking legal and technical work redundant.
>
> Now you have me convinced: working on GCC/Emacs integration would be a
> waste of my time.

If you are not willing to communicate with those who have to make and
support decisions for maintaining the role GCC plays for promoting Free
Software, it is indeed quite likely that you would invest time and
effort that will ultimately not be integrated into GCC upstream (of
course, you can still distribute your own GPLed version of GCC).

Of course, this "I'll take over your project now and do everything right
since you are incapable of doing so" attitude is not likely to lead to
convincing results in a lot of other endeavors not necessarily related
to Free Software.

--
David Kastrup