Re: Goals for repo conversion day

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Goals for repo conversion day
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:31:56 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 06:16:53 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> Speaking as the (almost former) groff maintainer: The conversion
> wasn't perfect at the first time -- it suffered the *empty ChangeLog*
> problem due to a too small time window for merging related multiple
> CVS commits into a single git commit --, but Eric posted the git
> repository for downloading (or rather, he posted a fast-import dump
> with instructions how to proceed), and after some improvements I was
> satisfied with the result, which is now the official git repository.

With all due respect, Werner, I don't think your experience with Groff
is enough to reassure us that the problems are imaginary.  With its
strictly linear history (not a single branch or merge!), and not even
2300 revisions, Groff's history is almost 2 orders of magnitude
smaller than Emacs's.  I also don't see any traces of converted
references to old revision numbers (apologies if I missed them).  And
you only switched a month and a half ago, so cannot yet claim a
long-term experience.