Re: read-event in batch mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: read-event in batch mode
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:03:21 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:09:14 -0500
>
> > Does any port for a supported platform need this fragment, or can we
> > safely delete it?  What about the daemon -- does it need this "when
> > detaching from the terminal", and if so, why?
>
> I suspect this code was written so that "emacs --batch" can read input
> from stdin.  If the other code works for that, than we can presumably
> get rid of this code.

Well, the systems that support D-Bus certainly don't need it, as they
haven't been using that code since last May.  Windows doesn't need
that, either.

As for others, I hope their users will speak up.  If nothing else
turns up, I suggest to ifdef away this code after the release branch
is cut, and see if someone hollers.

> The "|| (IS_DAEMON && daemon_pipe[1] >= 0" part looks to me like "let's
> make sure the daemon mode works like --batch until we fork&detach".
> IOW if it's not needed for --batch, then it's not needed for the daemon
> case either.

That was my guess as well.

Thanks.