Re: Repo cpnversion progress report

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Repo cpnversion progress report
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 13:04:21 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:16:25 -0500
> Cc: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden
>
> I know I won't be using any external data file because I need such
> a thing rarely enough that I won't remember where the file is or which
> command to use for that.
>
> Also they're rare enough that it's OK if it takes a while to figure out
> what it's referring to.
>
> > Here's an example of a user story:  Someone is reading the emacs-devel
> > archives and reads mail containing a reference to an Emacs change by
> > Bazaar revision.  How does he get to the corresponding git revision?
>
> He doesn't and moves on.  Or he goes back to the old Bzr repository to
> figure it out.

We could have a VC command that consults an external file with the
mapping.  We could even display the results of such mapping in a
tooltip or in a display property.  Then the need to remember will
disappear.

I do agree (and thought so from the get-go) that conversion of old
revision references to time stamps is a lot of effort for little gain.