Re: read-event in batch mode

From: Nix
Subject: Re: read-event in batch mode
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 12:11:28 +0000

On 31 Jan 2014, Eli Zaretskii said:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:09:14 -0500
>>
>> > Does any port for a supported platform need this fragment, or can we
>> > safely delete it?  What about the daemon -- does it need this "when
>> > detaching from the terminal", and if so, why?
>>
>> I suspect this code was written so that "emacs --batch" can read input
>> from stdin.  If the other code works for that, than we can presumably
>> get rid of this code.
>
> Well, the systems that support D-Bus certainly don't need it, as they
> haven't been using that code since last May.  Windows doesn't need
> that, either.

That would be around the time when emacs --daemon started "acting up" by
going into an unresponsive CPU-chewing loop whenever it asked a question
on the console during startup. I have to start Emacs these days by
starting a non-daemon Emacs, answering various questions (mostly from
desktop.el), quitting (and saving a fixed desktop file), then restarting
in daemon mode...

--
NULL && (void)