How do I avoid purple-on-black and yellow-on-white?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: How do I avoid purple-on-black and yellow-on-white?
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 13:36:49 -0800

I needed to use emacs in a terminal window that was in reverse mode --
background black.
I was completely unable to read any of the prompts without highlighting the text
because the prompts are all purple.  Somehow, those two combinations need to be
prevented.  Completely.  Entirely.  Never allowed to happen at all.  It should
not
be up to a hapless user to figure out how to configure coloration.  It's too
hard.
Thanks you! :)