How to successively log stuff to a file?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: How to successively log stuff to a file?
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 00:41:00 +0100

Hello,

I have written a little library for logging stuff, i.e. hit keys and
executed commands, messages, and file loads [1].

I want that you can define a dribble file where all my logged output
would be written to.  That would be a good help to reconstruct what you
did before a crash, or for writing bug reports (Yes, I know about
`open-dribble-file', but it's in C).

What is the smartest way to do that (in LISP, of course)?

I could save the buffer content to a file regularly.  To have a complete
log after crashes, I would have to save the buffer after each
keystroke.  This seems very dumb.

There is also `write-region'.  But that prints a message in the echo
area after each call, i.e. in my case, after each hit key.

Is there a smarter/cleverer/more low level way to do what I want?

Thanks,

Michael.

[1]  https://github.com/michael-heerdegen/interaction-log.el