Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 16:15:10 +0900

David Kastrup writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Ted Zlatanov writes:
 > >
 > >  > Realistically speaking, attacks against Emacs are extremely unlikely
 > >  > unless specific people are targeted.
 > >
 > > Exactly.
 >
 >     Section 215 of the Patriot Act allows the FBI to order any person or
 >     entity to turn over "any tangible things," so long as the FBI
 >     "specif[ies]" that the order is "for an authorized investigation
 >     . . . to protect against international terrorism or clandestine
 >     intelligence activities."

That order means that not only do you have to turn over the drive, you
also have to give them the passphrases or PGP keys (as with GPLv3).
So it's irrelevant to this thread, which is about mechanisms to make
wiretapping less useful.

See also http://www.jwz.org/rba-rip.html for more information about
the defenses you don't have against a subpoena in the U.S.