Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116304: * lisp/desktop.el (desktop-read): Claim

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116304: * lisp/desktop.el (desktop-read): Claim the lock when the owner is not the current process.
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 11:42:53 +0100

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe we need a separate question in addition to the existing question
>
> 1. "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID %s.
>     Using it may cause conflicts.  Use it anyway? "
>
> something like
>
> 2. "Claim the lock from PID %s to take the ownership of the desktop file? "

Something like that, but it needs to be possible to configure it to
not ask/not claim, if that's what the user wants.

As an example, in my .emacs, I set desktop-load-locked-desktop to nil,
and then I add code to desktop-not-loaded-hook that only steals the
lock if the PID of the old lock does not match a running Emacs
instance; if the old Emacs is still running I only throw a warning.