Re: A DOS box starting Emacs (w32)

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: A DOS box starting Emacs (w32)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:30:48 +0000 (UTC)

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo <at> gmail.com>
wrote:

> > AFAIK, what "runemacs.exe" does is to asynchronously invoke
> > "emacs.exe" and then close/kill the CMD window.  Wouldn't it be
> > possible to achieve the same behavior from "emacs.exe"?
>
> IIRC, it would be possible, but then you would see the console being
> opened and then hidden, which is ugly. You could work around it by
> setting a shortcut to start Emacs hidden, but that doesn't help when
> you run emacs.exe directly from the Start menu, for example. The whole
> runemacs/emacs dance is here to avoid that initial "open console /
> hide console" ugliness.

AFAIK, there is no clean solution to build an app which is both a console
app and a gui app.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2009/01/01/9259142.aspx

Anyway, if you dare to use it, you can try my own binaries for Emacs-W64 :

http://semantic.supelec.fr/popineau/programming-emacs.html#sec-2

There is a version of emacsclient borrowed from EmacsW32 which is more
friendly than the pair runemacs/emacs .

Basically, emacsclient is used to launch emacs and no console show off.

Fabrice