Re: A DOS box starting Emacs (w32)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A DOS box starting Emacs (w32)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 18:22:53 +0200

> From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:06:32 +0200
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On MS-Windows 7 or later, emacs.exe could automate this by
> setting the System.AppUserModel.RelaunchCommand property on its
> windows.

AFAIU, this will avoid Angelo's problem with pinning of Emacs icons
(solving which is probably a Good Thing), but it doesn't resolve the
issues that cause us to have runemacs.exe in the first place.  IOW,
runemacs.exe will still need to be available, even if we adopt this
technique.

> It would have to detect whether the property should refer to
> emacs.exe or runemacs.exe.  Because runemacs.c sets start.wShowWindow
> = SW_HIDE when it calls CreateProcess, emacs.exe could perhaps call
> GetConsoleWindow and IsWindowVisible, or call GetStartupInfo and check
> wShowWindow.

Why is this logic needed?  Are there any circumstances where the
pinned icon should invoke emacs.exe, rather than runemacs.exe?