Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:10:47 -0500

> I think features that want mode-specific behavior in some region of a
> file need new infrastructure (that needs to be discussed and designed
> first).

I've been following those multiple major mode thingies for quite a few
years now.  I don't think we really need a significant new
infrastructure at the C level.  What we need instead is some conventions
that major modes need to follow to play well in things like mmm-mode
or mumamo.

E.g. I don't think "pseudo-narrowing" to magically pretend that only the
current "code chunk" exists is going to fly: it will break major modes
that don't follow pretty much the same conventions.

As for whether multiple major modes are frequent: I consider comments
and strings as being "text-mode" chunks.  Not sure if we'll ever get to
the point of integrating the handling of strings/comments with the
handling of other forms of multi-major-modes, tho.

        Stefan