Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:34:45 +0200

On 14.02.2014 16:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the questions.  What do you mean by
"adaptation of `syntax-ppss'"?

The introduction of a new hook Stefan suggested earlier.

Information of region boundaries should surely come from the
application level, but I wasn't talking about that.  I was talking
about how this information is _used_.

I guess adapting the default font-lock-fontify-region function and
syntax-propertize to be aware of them would be good

To be aware of what?

Of chunk boundaries.

I never said the region(s) must be contiguous.  (Btw, explanation of
why a given chunk needs to be aware of the previous chunk would be
appreciated.)

Consider this ERB snippet:

The class value string has to continue after the ruby chunk.

My point is that we should come up with a list of the requirements,
and then design and implement the infrastructure which will support
them, instead of implementing multi-mode buffers by piggybacking
existing infrastructure, which was never designed to support such
features.

The need to "come up, design and implement" these things has been there for many years now. Unless things start moving in that direction step-by-step, I'm not confident anything "proper" will happen at all.