Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 00:52:58 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> My point is that we should come up with a list of the requirements,
> and then design and implement the infrastructure which will support
> them, instead of implementing multi-mode buffers by piggybacking
> existing infrastructure, which was never designed to support such
> features.

Although I might be setting the cat among the pigeons, I thought I'd
throw out an example of a possible infrastructure change along these
lines.

What if we could have a display property (or something like a display
property) that, rather than displaying a string or an image, displays
(a portion of?) another buffer.  Moreover, when the cursor is in this
region, all events go to the subsidiary buffer rather than the displayed
one.  Changes are actually happening in another buffer, with full mode
and font-lock support, but those changes are visibly mirrored in the
"display" buffer.  Write hooks (and copy hooks) can replace the dislpay
regions with the actual contents of the subsidiary buffers.

Now, I am certain there are a lot of potential problems with this idea
(I can think of several off the top of my head), but this is, once
again, an example of a proposed feature that might be able to solve this
type of problem.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)