Policty question - encoding to use in git repository?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Policty question - encoding to use in git repository?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:29:37 -0500 (EST)

While continuing to try to identify correct deletion points for attic
files, I have run across a minor problem: Latin-1 characters in
Changelog files.  I have seen two, c-cedilla and something I can't
identify that renders as a backtick.  There may be more.  I can fix
them up.

I request a policy decision about what encoding the repository
content should use.  I see three reasonable choices:

* Leave Latin-1 in place.

* Transcode to UTF-8. (I favor this as the best long-term solution.)

* Transcode to ASCII approximations - easy in the two cases I've
  found so far.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power.
        -- Abraham Lincoln