Re: Policty question - encoding to use in git repository?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Policty question - encoding to use in git repository?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:24:45 +0200

> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:01:28 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > It's already UTF-8.  This is a non-issue.
>
> Do you mean the policy is already to use UTF-8?  Or that you believe there
> are no non-UTF-8 characters in the Changelogs?

Both.  Each ChangeLog file has this file-local variable at the end:

  ;; Local Variables:
  ;; coding: utf-8
  ;; End:

> Python doesn't think the latter is true when I try to interpret string
> initializers mined from the Changelogs.

Then something is probably wrong with the mining process, because I
look in the file ChangeLog.9 and see a 2-byte UTF-8 sequence \303\247
there for the Latin-1 character ç in "François_Pinard".