Re: Lisp mode syntax table

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Lisp mode syntax table
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:00:57 -0500

> The problem may not be the class of ?| per se, but the interaction with ?:
> The whole thing |rdf|:|someClass| should be considered as a symbol.

Right, that is something Emacs syntax tables can't currently express.

> At the moment, using smartparen to push a ?) through this symbol,
> you start by putting it here :
> |rdf|):|someClass|

I think this step is largely unavoidable: your symbol is not
syntactically atomic, instead it has structure.  To avoid this step,
Emacs would need to understand that the ":" infix operator can't take
a parenthesized expression on its left hand side.

> then here
> |rdf| :)|someParen|

This step OTOH is definitely avoidable.  E.g. SMIE's forward-sexp would
know to skip ":|someClass|" rather than just ":".

> (notice that a space has been added)

Seems like a misfeature of smartparen.

> if ?| shouldn't be part of the symbol rather than a string delimiter.

As mentioned, it has string syntax for things like |)| and | |.

> In CL standard syntax, it is also used in multi lines comments
> #| ... |#

Yes, Emacs understands those, IIRC,

        Stefan