Re: term-setup-hook v tty-setup-hook v emacs-startup-hook

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: term-setup-hook v tty-setup-hook v emacs-startup-hook
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:06:32 +0100

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> On inspection, term-setup-hook seems to serve no purpose.
> It is run by startup.el immediately after emacs-startup-hook.
> So anything that you might want to use term-setup-hook for,
> you could just as well use emacs-startup-hook instead.

Yes. They are conceptually different, but for all purposes they're identical.

> I think it would be less confusing if term-setup-hook were made
> obsolete (and undocumented) in favour of emacs-startup-hook.

Agreed. We run at least five hooks during initialization. If we can
reduce that to four without losing functionality, that's a net gain.

So we should simply do

(define-obsolete-variable-alias 'term-setup-hook 'emacs-startup-hook "24.4")

and of course fix the "The Init File" and "Terminal-Specific
Initialization" nodes of the Elisp manual.