Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:42:20 +0200

On 24.02.2014 19:33, Richard Stallman wrote:
The lookup and completion features that people want can be implemented
by making GCC answer questions sent to it, as Aspell does for M-$.
That change would be welcome.  I think it could be implemented using
GCC's existing plug-in mechanism, but it would be better to put
the code into GCC itself.

Could it support a "daemon" mode?

The current situation in Clang is, its executable only supports the simplest mode of operation: one process call per completion. This way, it has to parse all relevant files (headers, etc) each time completion is requested.

But the completion information is available via libclang, and there are a few projects that build on it to spin up a persistent server, which only processes different files anew when they've changed since the last time (or at least that's the intention). These projects also support different build systems and extract the necessary dependency information, include paths, etc.

I don't really see GCC itself doing that (at least, the last part).
It would require quite a bit of work that might be better left to third-party developers.