Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:06:34 -0500

     > This is because LLVM does not try to defend users' freedom at all.

    Of course it does.  It gives them the choice of using excellent free
    software.

You have misinterpreted my statement.  LLVM is free software, but it
does not defend users' freedom because only copyleft does that.

Remember that my statement was made in a specific context: LLVM's
practices regarding copyright assignment.  Since they do not maintain
a copyleft, they also don't take the steps necessary to uphold the
copyleft.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation