Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:55:22 +0100

>     Anyway, Stefan gave is OK on libclang usage,
>
> That statement seems to be a misunderstanding.

I don't think so. You and Stefan simply have differing opinions.

> My decision, as head of the GNU Project, is that we will not install
> anything in Emacs or ELPA that uses clang or LLVM.
>
> You can use CEDET, you can use GCC, you can use both, or you
> can use something else.  But not clang or LLVM.
>
> This decision is necessary for achieving more the goal
> of the GNU Project, which is to give computer users' freedom
> in their computing in general -- not just in their text editing.

This decision is a mistake. Please reconsider.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying we should not support any
feature in clang/LLVM unless we can do the same with gcc, because
although clang/LLVM is free software, it is non-copyleft. At least
that's what I gathered from your other posts in this thread.

But by the same reasoning you are applying to clang/LLVM, Emacs' must
not support any feature from Subversion (which is Apache-licensed)
unless the same feature is present in git, hg, or bzr, or we must
implement it there first. Likewise, we must not support any feature in
CMake (which is a BSD-licensed build tool), unless the same feature is
present in GNU Make, or we must first implement it there as well.

Is that correct? Because if so, you are drawing the line now between
copyleft and non-copyleft, whereas it used to be between free and
non-free.

-David