Re: w32/w64 Emacs and gmalloc()

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: w32/w64 Emacs and gmalloc()
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:21:37 -0500

> Once the preloaded data are dumped, they are not freed nor realloc'ed, or
> rather, the space they occupied is not collected.

What changes did you make to get this result?

> This is suboptimal, but there is no way around with the w32 api alone
> (no way that I know of without  using your own allocator).

IIUC the problem is with calling "malloc" before the dump and then
"free" that block after the dump, right?  If so, there's still some room
for improvement since Emacs could reuse a malloc'd area internally
(without going through free+malloc).

> Any comments welcome on the pros/cons of this gmalloc removal for w32.

Can you show your current patch (I promise I won't make any comment
about style etc...).

        Stefan