Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 07:26:02 +0100

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I am not necessarily describing my own position here.
>
> OK, you're right. Sorry if I misrepresented your position.
>
>> I agree with the
>> position of Richard in as far that I would consider it a shame if Emacs
>> had to rely on LLVM to provide a useful environment for writing code to
>> be compiled with GCC.
>
> But this is not a binary, now-or-never issue. Even if, in some cases,
> Emacs had to rely on LLVM, that would change as soon as GCC provided
> equivalent support.

Well, a frequently cited motivation of Free Software authors is that
they are "scratching an itch".  It helps if there is an actual itch.
Now this thread shows ample demonstration that Emacs using LLVM for
completion is not an itch to a lot of people, whereas not having
compiler-based completion at all in Emacs is.  Coupling those itches
seems to make it more likely somebody will work on the former.

--
David Kastrup