Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 16:08:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I know that you don't trust me when I say that this is foolish
>
> It is foolish to call an existing implementation impossible to
> achieve.
>
>> so I'll recommend to you to ask on gcc-devel: "how much work it is
>> to implement the necessary features from scratch (say on Elisp) for
>> providing C++ smart code completion as Clang does?"
>
> It is already implemented.

This is false, as acknowledged by the C++/CEDET developer himself and
easily testable with a few lines of code.

>> You can also take a look at GCC or Clang sources to get an idea of the
>> involved complexity (not that the sources reflects all the complexity.)
>
> Irrelevant, because we don't need to compile C++ sources, we need
> something else.

We don't need the backend, but we need all the other big parts. In the
case of Clang, that's probably more than 70% of its source code (the
backend is provided by LLVM, which is a segregated code base.)