Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 10:57:34 -0500

>> > The other bit takes over the value of c-electric-indent-mode into CC
>> > Mode only when it has been set by the user, thus preventing
>> > electric.el's default overriding CC Mode's.
>> For that I think it's better to only obey electric-indent-mode if
>> Emacs>24.3 rather than use the electric-indent-mode-has-been-called crutch.
> That does not achieve the same effect.

Can you give a scenario where the result is different?

> Please don't do this.  I meant literally what I wrote.

Yes, but I hate this electric-indent-mode-has-been-called crutch, so we
need a different solution.

> A better solution would be to provide a less ugly way of checking whether
> a user has called electric-indent-mode

A different way would still be ugly, because this requirement is itself ugly.
We need to find a solution that does not depend on *how* we got to this state.

        Stefan