Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 20:02:15 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 16:08:37 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I know that you don't trust me when I say that this is foolish
> >
> > It is foolish to call an existing implementation impossible to
> > achieve.
> >
> >> so I'll recommend to you to ask on gcc-devel: "how much work it is
> >> to implement the necessary features from scratch (say on Elisp) for
> >> providing C++ smart code completion as Clang does?"
> >
> > It is already implemented.
>
> This is false, as acknowledged by the C++/CEDET developer himself and
> easily testable with a few lines of code.

What was acknowledged was that CEDET does not implement the full C++
standard, that's all.  It remains to be seen how important that is to
the Emacs users at large; obviously, CEDET developers didn't think
what they had was useless.  Your needs are not the only ones, and not
necessarily representative of those of others.

> We don't need the backend, but we need all the other big parts. In the
> case of Clang, that's probably more than 70% of its source code (the
> backend is provided by LLVM, which is a segregated code base.)

Because Clang was designed and implemented as a compiler, first and
foremost, and not as a CEDET backend.

How many times we will need to go through this before you will
understand that hand-waving and unsubstantiated claims are not
convincing?  These repetitions serve nothing else but discouraging
people for trying different approaches -- is this really your goal and
your agenda?