Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 20:43:33 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Just in passing I'll mention that that was one of the main motivations
>> for creating Clang. Some of today's Clang heavy contributors would
>> have preferred to do that modularization on GCC instead of starting
>> from scratch on a new project, but that was forbidden. Hence Clang is,
>> in great part, a consequence of the GNU policies intended to avoid GCC
>> usage by non-free software. Ironic, uh?
>
> Not particularly.  The GPL has been crafted to use a subset of
> restrictions created by copyright law for ensuring a corpus of software
> that cannot be used to create software with other restrictions.

IIUC what you say does not apply on this specific case, because those
"heavy contributors" I'm talking about are, in essence, Google employees
who are interested on creating tools for themselves. AFAIK the GPL is
not an issue for them on this case and they will be happy to contribute
back those tools to GCC, as they do for Clang.

[snip]