Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 16:28:53 -0500

    It cannot be Emacs's task to provide selling points for GCC, exactly
    as GCC doesn't provide selling points for Emacs.

It is not unusual to use one GNU package to motivate people
to work on another GNU package.  We should do it more often,
remembering that these packages aim for a larger goal.

    No project can be requested to be that altruistic.

That concept is not applicable because it presumes a project
that exists narrowly for its own success.

GNU Emacs and GCC are part of a larger project, the GNU operating
system, and the GNU operating system has an overarching ethical
purpose: to establish freedom for computer users.  Our policy must be
based on that purpose; it would be irrational neglect to do otherwise.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation