Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 23:57:14 +0200

On 01.03.2014 23:31, Richard Stallman wrote:
     The one I'm maintaining, and which has been mentioned a few times in
     this and other threads: http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/company.html

What does the mode do?

It provides a modern-ish code completion interface. Take a look at the home page. It has a description and a couple of screenshots.

What job does it do using Clang?

It calls clang to know the possible completions at point, and their signatures (it passes the buffer contents through stdin, and the line and column of point). No persistent process, so I'd imagine it's not very suitable for large projects.

You might want to give company-clang.el a read. It's short enough.

I gather there are other back ends; what jobs do they do?

They provide completions using different other sources, in different major modes.