Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116644: ChangeLog entries should be usable with

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116644: ChangeLog entries should be usable without the VCS
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 19:06:17 +0100

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> As long as our primary distribution medium is a tarball containing a
> ChangeLog, that disagreement does not make a lot of sense.

I question your axiom: our "primary distribution method" is a tarball,
for people (and GNU/Linux distributions) who builds Emacs, not that
modifies it or fixes bugs. I'd be surprised to discover that people
tinkering with Emacs innards' (outside emacs-devel people, I mean) do
it without accessing the public repo.

I don't think the ChangeLogs make much sense without access to the
history. The last few entries (or the last few hundred), perhaps.
Older than that, they talk about code or functions or variables (or
sometimes files) that often don't exist anymore, or have been
rewritten from scratch, or modified in ways that a simple ChangeLog
description doesn't really explain enough about. It'd be interesting
to know if there's people out there who delves into the Emacs code
without accessing the public repository, and who, *simultaneously*,
find the ChangeLogs significantly useful.

But the point is moot. I disagree, but I'm not going to reintroduce
the reference.

> A ChangeLog that is only usable with the VCS seems like it should rather
> be folded into the VCS in the first place.

Isn't that what Stefan wants to do?