Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 15:35:21 -0500

Reciprocity is an aspect of the point of the GNU GPL, but its main
point is _defending users' freedom_.

With the GNU GPL (and copyleft in general), we make sure that all
copies of all versions of our code _respect users' freedom_.  We make
sure that if people develop nonfree software, if we can't stop them,
at least we deny them the benefit of our help.

We also oblige them, in some circumstances, to contribute their
improvements to our community, and that's the reciprocity aspect.

    stifling friendly competition is a very bad thing,

By calling LLVM "friendly competition" you misrepresent the issue at
stake.  You're wasting your time, asking me to change my mind based on
ignoring what's at stake.

In any case, we are not in a position to stifle LLVM, so you're
discussing an imaginary issue.

     have we learned nothing from
    the Great Planning Experiments of Marx-Lenin-Stalin-ism?

Lots of projects make plans and implement them.  If you equate making
plans to Communist dictatorship, you've gone off the deep end.  And
that's not to mention that your accusation is so nasty that we
shouldn't be on speaking terms.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation