Re: Artifacts on the fringes

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Artifacts on the fringes
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 22:21:05 +0100

Óscar Fuentes writes:
> Nix <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> AFAIK redrawing the fringe when its contents change is something that
>>> Emacs does independently of the window manager.
>>>
>>> It is good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
>>
>> It is certainly not universal: using fvwm and a recent Emacs (2.6.x) and
>> making fairly heavy use of the fringes, I have never seen it.
>
> I'm using Bozhidar Batsov's solarized-dark theme. With
>
> (setq solarized-distinct-fringe-background t)
>
> the problem happened /almost/ predictably with my configuration (not
> with Emacs -Q). It also happened without that setq but not predictably
> at all. That's odd because the effect of that variable is just selecting
> among two possible background colors for the fringe.
>
> After updating the theme to the latest git sources and 5 days of Emacs
> usage, the fringe display still works fine. AFAIK nothing changed on the
> theme spec wrt the fringe.

I noticed this for a while as well, and today I finally managed to
reliably reproduce it. At least in my case, the fringe doesn't correctly
get updated when you switch to(!) a buffer where

 - point is on a tabulator
 - there's an overlay from beginning to end of line
 - that overlay has a face background identical to the fringe color

No wonder not many people are seeing this... In my case, this was
usually triggered by the Magit status buffer, where the list of changed
files is indented with tabulators, and the files are highlighted with
the face `magit-item-highlight'. I'm using Bozhidar Batsov's zenburn
theme, and there this face has the same background color as the fringe.

This is now bug#16932, probably the weirdest one I've ever filed...

-David