Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 02:19:45 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

A lot of misrepresentations.  Two are important to Emacs:

 > And it is most certainly not an "attack" if Emacs developers are
 > told that Emacs' C/C++ modes should not be equipped with features
 > that can only work by using Clang internally, consequently
 > restricting the supported languages

This was the fifth time in your post you've made the unsupported claim
that use of Clang involves restricting the languages supported by
Emacs to those supported by Clang.  Please document people advocating
that no other technology than Clang should be used to implement "smart
completion".  Surely Óscar advocates Clang (or other AST-producing
front end) as the most accurate way to do that, but I didn't see him
(or anyone else) anywhere say that no other techniques should be
allowed.

In any case, Richard's argument nowhere depends on *exclusive* use of
Clang.  He simply doesn't want unique features of Clang supported, no
matter how good Emacs's support for GCC is.

 > The GNU project was never about making everybody happy.  It was
 > about making sure its users have free software available where they
 > have access to the full sources, and making sure that this is not
 > just a temporary state.

Um, no, that clearly is not what the GNU Project is about.  It is not
good enough to merely provide some free software, even a complete
(whatever that means) system built from free software.  The goal of
the GNU Project quite clearly is the same as the FSF's: the
elimination of proprietary software, starting with all derivatives of
GNU software.  That is clear from the choice of license.

The goal you propose here is the one espoused by permissive license
advocates.