Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116644: ChangeLog entries should be usable with

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116644: ChangeLog entries should be usable without the VCS
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 19:19:17 +0100

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> The tarball _is_ the corresponding source to a version of Emacs.  That's
> what the GPL will guarantee to provide.  Nothing else is guaranteed to
> be available to somebody getting binaries to some version of Emacs.

That does not mean that everything included in the tarball is useful
per se, or that the ChangeLogs are (or aren't). At the end, it's
having the *source* (and Makefiles, config, and everything that allows
to rebuild the software) what gives freedom to the user. ChangeLogs
are a (tiny) help. We could strip them from our tarballs and it
wouldn't be a catastrophe, as witnessed by the fact that many projects
do not keep ChangeLogs.