Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:48:20 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> David, with all due respect: I think that people like you and RMS who
>> don't know the issue at all from the user's POV (and even loudly despise
>> C++) have no right for telling anyone that they do not understand the
>> matter at hand. As a lifetime C++ programmer who follows GCC, Emacs and
>> Clang communities since a very long time,
>
> I don't think that there is any further point to answer you if you
> insist on considering everybody with a different viewpoint as clueless.

Handwaving. You are proud of keeping away from C++. But at the same you
feel entitled to stablish policies that depend on how it is practiced,
while sneering at the insiders that say that you are wrong all the way.

Something for your consideration, that is self-evident for anyone
working the C/C++ compiler scene but that you are missing completely: it
doesn't make any sense to worry about non-free software using GCC as a
front-end/back-end/whatever because choosing Clang for that is a
no-brainer.

[snip]

> Making Emacs depend on Clang for features clearly is not.

Here you go again with "making Emacs depend on Clang." You simply don't
want to listen.

>> You are like catholic priests dictating how people
>> should deal with sexuality. See what they achieve.
>
> You manage to stoop to insinuations of child molestation.  Impressive.

If you don't want to continue this discussion, it is fine with me. But
trying to sidestep the discussion by depicting me as if I were
slandering you with outrageous charges (when it is obvious that's not
the case) is something I wouldn't expect from you. But it is a technique
I've seen RMS to use often, so I guess you are taking him as a model.

[snip]