Progress on the git repo cleanup

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Progress on the git repo cleanup
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:21:08 -0500 (EST)

Some time ago I posted a list of desiderata for a cleaned-up gir
repository.  I now have a lift script that achieves all of these.
Here is the current list

# 1. Map some remnant CVS user names to DVCS IDs
#
# 2. Turn fossil Bazaar and CVS references into action stamps.
#
# 3. Identify and convert .cvsignore and .bzrignore files.
#
# 4. Rename and deletion fixups for RCS attic files
#
# 5. Squash commit cliques that were not properly merged during the Bazaar lift.
#
# 6. Incorporate fixes-bug properties from Bazaar.
#
# 7. Massage bug URLs in change comments into a canonical form.

One minor issue remains; the *only* 4-digit Bazaar reference (to 3176)
does not lift for some reason.  I can fix that.

The conversion machinery is at

address@hidden:emacs-transition/emacs-transition.git

so others can audit my procedure.  Everything is documented.  In the
near future I will push a copy of the cleaned-up repo to gitorious.

What this means is that we can now pull the switch anytime Stefan says.

The only practical problem is that a full run of the lift script takes
around ten hours. You can reduce the number of those I have to do by
not embedding any more Bazaar commit numbers in ChangeLogs or commit
comments.

I've been sent a list of alternative forms of committer names that
could be normalized, but I recall there was some resistance to doing
this.  Stefan, do you have a policy preference?

The politician attempts to remedy the evil by increasing the very thing
that caused the evil in the first place: legal plunder.
        -- Frederick Bastiat