Re: bug#16961: left-char moves to beginning of line; visual-order-cursor

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: bug#16961: left-char moves to beginning of line; visual-order-cursor-movement
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 21:38:38 -0600

On Mar 7, 2014, at 2:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> HL Line Mode, the Mother Of All Evil…

Couldn’t the core of this be implemented in redisplay instead of in Lisp?
(I’m assuming it places overlays in the buffer.)

> Does this mean "Aquamacs without customizations" has
> visual-order-cursor-movement set to t?  If so, I think it's not a good
> idea at all: that variable is user-level customization, it shouldn't
> be forced on the users.

Users can change it the way the want it.
Aquamacs just sets a different default, as it does with a lot of settings.

The reason why I’m doing this is that otherwise, left/right keys do not move
left/right movement of the cursor (in RTL or mixed text), and that would be
incoherent with other situations in the system where users edit RTL text.

Do you have a better suggestion?