Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:38:54 -0400

>     But if as a result of those measures, all development moves from GCC to
>     Clang/LLVM, this will be a pyrrhic victory :-(
> That's what life is like.  If you fight, you might lose.  If you
> surrender, you lose for certain.

No.  There can be other measures that don't lead to a loss and don't
lead to a pyrrhic victory either.

But I think you'd first need to define what you'd consider as a loss.
AFAICT, you seem to consider "Using GCC in a proprietary product" as
a loss.  That's only true if the alternative was "making that product
Free".  If the alternative is "Using Clang in a proprietary product"
then I think "Using GCC in a proprietary product" is definitely not
a loss (especially if the GPLv3 works as it should, making it possible
for the user to replace/fix/improve the GCC part of the proprietary
product).

        Stefan