Re: Trunk still not open

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 00:39:04 +0900

Dmitry Gutov writes:
 > On 14.03.2014 16:34, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > Anyway, they're closely related.  If you don't have docs, you don't
 > > know what to test.
 >
 > If I only have docstrings, I can know what to test pretty well.

If you have XEmacs docstrings, in many cases, yes, but Emacs generally
doesn't put enough semantic information in docstrings to define the
corner cases where tests actually make a big difference.  You need the
manual level of detail.

 > The original complaint in this thread is about lack of NEWS entries

Agreed, that's not a problem for writing tests.  It's also probably
not all that big a deal for authors.  In many cases the first line of
the commit log for a merge will do, or you can omit it.  Sorting the
NEWS is a pretty big deal but that's not something it makes sense to
ask the patch authors to try to get right, at least not at this stage.

 > and out-of-date manuals.

This is a problem for writing correct and complete tests, though.