Re: Trunk still not open

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:18:52 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:52:44 +0100
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, Stephen Turnbull <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Software engineers who can write good docs are rare and
> > therefore quite valued.
>
> That's why I'm unimpressed by the idea of forcing changes to include
> docs. Not everyone is able to write Emacs-manual-quality docs, and
> specially, not everyone is so fluent in English to write good English
> docs; some of us struggle with it.

I understand that, believe me.  I mentioned gdb-patches; you can see
there that most of the burden of helping those whose English is much
worse than yours is on yours truly's shoulders.  So I know something
about that, having done that for several years now, and after all that
I still think this is our best alternative to having manuals that are
in sync with the sources at any given time.  In particular, once a GDB
release is decided on, the release-blocking issues never include the
docs, and in general a release tarball is out the door in no time,
something we can only envy in Emacs.

Of course, if this is decided, we will have to provide the same kind
of help you see on gdb-patches for those whose initial attempts at
providing documentation will need that.