Re: Trunk still not open

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 03:09:46 +0100

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> You can't force people to do anything, and that's not what I asked.

True, though that kind of sentiment has at least been thrown around.
Quoting Stephen:

> All very true, but practically speaking this has to be decided at the
> project level, and accompanied by a no-push-without-required-docs
> policy.  It's quite possible that this policy once explicitly decided
> will require essentially zero enforcement (part of the problem is that
> there's probably much less than 100% awareness of the less-interesting
> tasks), but you need to be prepared to enforce by demanding docs, and
> if necessary reverting doc-less patches.

and that motivated my answer.

> I just want people to try more, rather than relying on someone else to
> do it.

"Relying on someone else to do it" can also be interpreted as "leaving
that particular work for those that are more skilled at it".

> If your English is not the best, then do the best job that you can, and
> ask people to proof-read the result. This is much better than doing
> nothing at all.

Hmm. I'm not so sure, because I don't agree with the "doing nothing at
all". I mean, surely there are some metrics in which it is "much
better", but these metrics are not necessarily related to efficiency,
but peers' goodwill (or project satisfaction, if you will), etc. If
developer A requires X hours to document something, and developers B,
C or D could do it in a tenth of that time, it is really efficient for
A to do it, assuming that in general A will spend these X hours in
another Emacs-related task anyway? Of course, A has no right to demand
B or anyone else to do it in their place; that's a given. But at the
end of the day, isn't contributing to a project like this a matter of
knowing how to spend your time in productive ways? I suppose a
counterargument could be given against developers who only want to do
"shiny new" things and leave the grunt work to others, but I do
believe that's not the case in the emacs devel community: most of us
do our share of grunt work (squashing bugs, fixing typos, testing,
revising and commenting proposed patches, commiting code from
non-committers, building snapshots, etc.).

> (If you were talking about yourself, I think your
> English is totally up to the task of writing Emacs docs.)

Well, I'm not just talking about myself. But thanks.

> To get specific: please try and document frameset.el in the lispref.

I didn't even know that it had to be documented in the lisp reference.
There are pretty fundamental libraries, like uniquify, which are not
(uniquify is briefly described in the Emacs manual). I will be very
surprised if the non-doc status of framesets has kept the freeze from
unfreezing ;-)

But assuming I try, where would that go? A subnode of "Frames", perhaps?