Re: Trunk still not open

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:43:05 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:13:29 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Being able to add functionality and get feedback on it fast is very
> valuable.  Writing in-depth documentation for stuff that will likely
> change is wasted time.

Deferring documentation for later is a sure recipe to get back where
we are now.  For starters, who will remember to get back to writing
docs afterwards (or want to, for that matter)?  Who will manage the
queue, and how?  etc/NEWS again?  We know where that leads.

> The other thing is that I kinda feel that we're over-documenting some
> things.  I think things should just work without the user having to read
> documentation at all.  And Emacs has some methods for discoverability
> (like 'C-h m') that work quite well if you're looking for what commands
> are available.

I think we already document only what needs to be, see the "---"
markers in NEWS.

> Not all modes need an entry in the Emacs and Lispref manuals.

Neither are they.