Re: Trunk still not open

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:03:33 +0100

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> So yes, it eventually burns through my goodwill, which is basically what
> caused me to start this discussion.

I understand that, and for my part in your burnout, I'm sorry.

> I don't think A and B are who you think they are in this scenario. I
> think you underestimate the amount of time it would take for me (say) to
> document frameset (say).

I watch emacs-diffs, so I know whos spend a lot of effort writing
docs. But in my example I wasn't pointing to anyone, nor suggesting
that you or Eli should do it; perhaps it is not evident, but I have a
great deal of respect for both of you and wouldn't dream of assuming
that I know how you should spend your time...

> I think I disagree with your assessment here.

?

So do you think that most emacs developers are only interested in the
"new, shiny" things?

> Well it does. This just seems obvious to me, if you want people to
> actually use it.

Well, framesets aren't documented in the elisp reference, but they are
hardly undocumented. In fact, once I start writing the info docs for
it, I don't think I'm going to say much, if anything, that isn't
already in the docstrings or the comments. frameset.el has a bit more
of 1100 non-empty lines, and ~56% of that is comments or docstrings.

> I'm surprised you're surprised. It's been sitting in NEWS without
> ---/+++ for months, during the time in which Stefan asked for people to
> document remaining NEWS items.

I cannot honestly say that I've looked at NEWS much for months, except
out of necessity (so, infrequently). Also, I find the "+++"/"---"/""
marking opaque, confusing and quite error-prone.

But enough. If framesets must be documented in the elisp reference, I'll do it.

That said, next time I read something like this (Martin's words) in Emacs devel:

  In Emacs 24.3 there are two functions `window-state-get' and
  `window-state-put' which can be used to do that.  The only missing part
  is to write an interface to these functions when saving and restoring
  the desktop.  I don't know whether anybody has done that.

I'm gonna sit on my hands or go fishing typos in lisp/*.el until the
urge to implement passes ;-)