Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:17:09 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 05:25:22 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > E.g., the way we merge from the release branch is due
> > to the fact that bzr doesn't track cherry-picks.  Git does.
>
> No, it doesn't.

Maybe with magit ;-)

From the command line, there's the -x switch to cherry-pick, which
does, sort of.  The question is, do we want that service?

> Which reminds me of a comment I made long time ago: applying fixes on
> the maintenance branch and then cherry-picking them into the development
> branch lowers the quality of the history of the development branch,
> which is the everlasting one, while the maintenance branch will
> eventually freeze and become almost irrelevant.

That's another issue that I think is worth discussing.  E.g., GDB
applies fixes to the trunk, and then cherry-picks some of them to the
release branch.  But then GDB doesn't keep the release branch for very
long, and never makes more than 2 versions out of it, so I'm not sure
that example is good for Emacs.

(I hope now you agree that using or not using magit is not the
important issue here.)