Re: "Adobe Brackets like" editing in emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Adobe Brackets like" editing in emacs
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:42:33 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 02:23:55 -0400
>>
>> EZ> I don't get it: switching between adjacent windows is a single
>> EZ> keystroke away (bind it to a key, if you are annoyed by "C-x o").
>>
>> I have, but looking in *two* places is a kind of context switch and
>> clutters the display with more windows.
>
> How is another window different from having contents of another file
> inserted into the same window?  The only difference is the mode line
> between them -- is that really such a big deal?

The mode line, independent scrolling and scroll bars, no isearch across
them, and a few other things.  The mode line (or something looking like
it) would likely even be a pretty separator, and it would be reasonably
cool to, say, toggle minor modes independently by clicking on the "mode
line" and have independent line number display.  However, this mode line
would have to behave like buffer content and scroll on- and off-screen
all under the control of a single large scrollbar rather than having a
scroll bar on its own.  And isearch would need to go through either
buffer in the proper order and so on.

So I doubt that multiple windows will really fit the bill here.

--
David Kastrup