Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:30:47 +0100

> See my other mail: why not install changes on the trunk, and then
> cherry-pick some of them to the release branch?

Here's why I does it the other way around (ie. fix on branch and then
merge to master): when a bug is reported on a released version, it feels
more natural to do the fix against what was released, and then get some
kind of patch or hotfix on that out the door, and then looking in to
moving that fix to master.

Taking an unreported fix from master and applying it to a relase branch
with a cherry pick also happens, but for that to happen, it has to be a
fix to an OMG!! condition (potential catastrophic data loss, or a high
enough crash rate to be annoying), and those bugs are thankfully few...