Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:35:08 +0100

> Stefan <address@hidden> writes:
>>> See my other mail: why not install changes on the trunk, and then
>>> cherry-pick some of them to the release branch?

>> Because I want to be sure that changes applied to the release branch are
>> included in the trunk.  A "merge" from the release to the trunk is
>> a good way to be sure.

> You can always do that merge privately and check that it has a zero diff
> to the trunk.

If you merge with stop-before-commit and get some unexpected diffs, you
can fix them (usually by doing "git checkout" on the files with diff
from their master versions) and commit, and the diffs won't confuse
future merge results.

(I actually don't know if there is any point to making a commit of a zero
diff merge result...?)