Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:30:05 +0100

>> I have satisfied this requirement for myself, by simply having separate
>> clones, something like this:
>> cd ~/git
>> git clone http://somewhere/emacs.git
>> git clone --branch release-23.4 http://somewhere/emacs.git emacs-release-23.4
>> git clone --branch release-24.0 http://somewhere/emacs.git emacs-release-24.0

> Yes, that's the obvious possibility.  I thought there were others.

All I've seen is the experimental feature mentioned earlier in the
thread (which I recommend against, based on my own experience with
earlier experimental features in git).

If space usage on your local disk is an issue, you can limit the clones
to just a single branch, but I don't think there's much to gain, since
the biggest part of the history will be shared anyway.

(And if you need to share branches between these clones that you don't
wish to push to the official emacs repo, that's what my local "remote"
setup earlier was for)

[snip!]
>> > Doesn't --separate-git-dir solve that problem?

>> I don't know.  I have never used this.

> Andreas said this is not a solution.

I was kinda relieved to see that.  I felt my entire understanding of git
slipping away from me...:-)